Chef Andrea was excited to be invited by The True Olive Connection to lead food demos Saturday and Sunday at the 2012 Central Coast Home, Garden, Culinary & Wine Expo at the Cocoanut Grove. Thank you to all who stopped by to talk about cooking and baking with olive oil and who tasted our dessert inspired by The True Olive Connection Cinnamon Pear Balsamic Vinegar. And thank you to Margareth at Sugarmags for providing the delicious tasting samples!
As promised, here is the recipe for the delicious polenta cake made with olive oil. Enjoy substituting a flavoured olive oil of your choice to give it your own twist! Happy cooking.
Polenta Rosemary & Olive Oil Cake
1/2 cup of butter, at room temperature
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
3/4 cup polenta
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup olive oil – flavoured oil of choice such as True Olive Connection Eureka Lemon Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare a 10 inch cake pan or a Bundt pan.
3. Combine the flour, polenta, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract.
5. Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer until it is light and fluffy.
6. Slowly pour in the wet egg mixture.
7. On low add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
8. Fold in the minced rosemary.
9. Bake for approximately 30 or until done (depending on your oven), testing until the cake is lightly browned and springs back to the touch.
*For an added touch of flavour, make a rosemary syrup using 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and rosemary. Combine in a pot and heat until simmering and sugar has dissolved. Strain. Pour rosemary syrup over cake just before serving.